Is this a fair initiative to inspire Aboriginal parents to school their children? Please comment.
This video shows how difficult complete cultural relativism is. Orthodox religious groups often have views that differ from those of true democracy and freedom. In this instance, the Haredi see women as lesser and they must live by strict codes as part of this patriarchal tradition. This includes very modest dress, walking on a different side of the road to men, segregated buses etc. Civil and equal rights for women as we know it in contemporary Australia do not apply within the Haredi community of Israel. Many non-ultra-orthodox Israeli Jews do not agree with the extremism of the Haredi – the Haredi have protested strongly, calling young school girls ‘prostitutes’ for not wearing long sleeves etc. Police intervention has become necessary which has escalated the conflict in Israel.
In some countries homosexuality is punishable by death. This article discusses a plan devised by the US to educate some countries about gay rights as part of aid packages. Comment on whether it is the role of the US to educate others on human rights… Cultural relativism or ethnocentrism? Be conscious of ‘netiquette’ when commenting (appropriate comments, relevant only to the topic please).
Copy of worksheet on Mills’ ‘Sociological Imagination’.
In Sociology, we IMAGINE a link between the personal and public spheres to help us understand social issues… This all started with Mills’ theory…
Click on the link to see the Powerpoint on ‘culture’:
Click on the link to see the Powerpoint on ‘cultural relativism’ and ‘ethnocentrism’:
Click on the link to download the handout on ‘cultural relativism’ and ’ethnocentrism’:
Read this article as an example of ‘culture clash’ – an Italian politician was arrested in Sweden for using physical contact to discipline his son.
Complete the questions below which relate to our film study:
Social Changes in the Workplace: Feminism
- What is ‘social change’ and what impact does it have on established institutions?
- What is Gender Stereotyping? How does this affect workplaces? Eg. A female builder may be perceived as less able as a male builder because she may be physically ‘weaker’.
- What is Gender Socialisation? How do our families and institutions like schools affect our identities?
- What is Feminism?
- What was/is the Feminist movement?
- Identify some of the inequalities you perceive for women in modern Western society.
- Identify some of the inequalities you perceive for men in modern Western society.
- Unit 3 Ethnicity: Powerpoints and Handouts
- Questions and Powerpoint: From Protection to Reconciliation
- Powerpoint: Representations of Indigenous Australians
- Latest Government Intervention to improve attendance in Aboriginal students
- The difficulties with Cultural Relativism
- Cultural Relativism and Ethnocentrism
- Sociological Imagination
- Culture, Cultural Relativism and Ethnocentrism (ECP 2011)
- Culture Clash
- Year 10: Homework due Friday 28th October
- Year 10′s upcoming assessment tasks
- Education and Sudanese Migrants/Refugees
- SBS Insight
- VCAA Sociology
- Sixth Sense Sociology
- My School
- The Story of Stuff
- The Age
- The Herald Sun
- The Australian
- You Tube
- Message Stick
- Reconciliation Australia
- Australian Government
- Pheona's Sociology Links
- Culture Watch
- ABC iView
- Asylum Seekers Resource Centre
- BBC Country Profiles: Australia